Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Several Days Offline Due to Equipment Failure

After several days offline, I am back online.  Guess that I was having a little withdrawal from technology and the outside world.  During those days of no "puter", I found myself saying several times...I will look that up on the internet...then I would realize that I had no internet...therefore could not look at anything.  My cell phone is only a cell phone (imagine that) so that wasn't an option to use for access.  Wow, how I did not realize how dependent I have become on the internet and computers.

Late yesterday afternoon when the UPS guy delivered the package, I almost ran to the door to jerk the package from his hand and rip open the box to get my new modem.  My heart was racing as I sat there waiting for the few moments to pass until I could get my PC up and access the world again.  Since my husband was home, I showed restraint and let the UPS truck leave the driveway before I walked quietly downstairs and out the door to retrieve my new modem. I did walk straight back into the house and office then grab a letter opener to slice through the tape holding the box closed.  Slowly smiling as I gently lifted the new modem out of the packing material, I knew that I was going to get back online within minutes and everything would be OK again.  I spent several minutes disassembling the old modem and connecting all the new cords to the new modem, then I was ready to fire it up.   I plugged in the power cord and the lights began to flash...my breath caught in my throat...soon baby soon.  The fast start booklet that came with the new modem said that it might take up to 20 minutes to connect...I just sat there waiting and watching the lights flash.  Then I said to myself, this is ridiculous and forced myself to walk out of the room.  Coming back a few minutes later, everything looked good.  Lights were solid green...a good sign.  So I tried to connect to the internet. Something was wrong...after I went through all the required screens for signons, passwords, and everything else, I still was unable to connect.  Now what???  I checked all the connections while crawling around on the floor.  The only one that I could not get to easily, the phone line, was behind the desk.  Could I have it in the wrong side of the phone jack?  Crawling on my belly and wiggling through the stuff on the shelves under the desk, I finally reached the phone jack.  All that isn't easy for a 65 year old woman.  After several attempts, I finally changed the cord into the other phone outlet.  Now I had to stand up...but first, the phone was ringing so I answered it while still sitting on the floor.  It was a man from Angie's List wanting me to give him a report on a company.  He began to talk then said that his computer was running slowly and he would need to reboot...I explained that I was on the floor trying to connect my new modem.  He agreed to call me back later.  OK, now I need to stand up, please knees don't fail me now.  After several minutes of wiggling around on the floor, I finally got up on my feet again. Success!

Now, let's try connecting again.  This time the lights flashed and the internet appeared.  I let out a breath and felt my entire body relax.  Now time to check email to see important messages I had missed.  I had over 350 emails to wade through!!!  I am still going through many of them.

I have fallen into the tech world and become almost as dependent as everyone else.   Maybe we need to turn off our computers and phones occasionally and take a break from technology.  It can survive without us but can we survive without technology?  Can you?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment